Thursday, May 7, 2015

May 6, 2015 - Broken Bones and Other Such Madness

13 years, 8 months, 23 days, I managed to get Blake that far without any broken bones...yay mom! Silly kid had a cycling collision on his way home from school today, and managed to fracture his clavicle.

Just yesterday he had a major cycling mishap.  The parking lot he rides though on the way home from school had just finished resurfacing, resulting in a rather sticky situation.  He went right over his handle bars and got some pretty significant road rash on his left shoulder.  

This afternoon, he calls me on his cell phone to say he has had another accident.  I thought he was kidding.  Blake does that a lot.  He will call me claiming to be experiencing an emergency, then start giggling.  He thinks he is so funny.  I was talking to him, trying to figure out what happened and the call dropped.  I called him back a little irritated at his less than humorous joke, and he started crying. Blake NEVER cries.

Casey and I were the only ones home, and his car is in the process of an engine rebuild so it was not going anywhere.  I grabbed my bike and rode like the wind to the school.  That was the fastest I have ever pedaled in my life.

When I arrived at the school, I could not find him anywhere.  I rode to the private school next door, and there he was.  When he walked up to me, grasping his left arm, I could tell by his ashen face that something was very wrong.  I walked him over to the curb, through a sea of students and parents picking up their children.  SO many people in this parking lot.  I made him sit down on the curb, and called Garrett to come and pick us up.  Unfortunately, Garrett was clear across town.  A teacher and school nurse from the private school came over to help me.  They were so kind.  By then I could see that Blake was going into shock, so I opted for 911.

Garrett and the fire department arrived at the same time.  I am glad I called them though because they were able to reassure Blake, and give him morphine for the pain.

Long story short, Blake has a fractured left clavicle.  No other injuries thank God!  The first question that the firemen, EMT's, nurses and doctors asked him was, "Where you wearing your helmet?"  Blake has been VERY stubborn about wearing his helmet lately.  So I asked everyone who asked him to give him a lecture about helmet safety.  Coming from someone other than a nagging mom should bring the point home.  As the nurse said to him, "Blake, do you know what we call patients who don't wear helmets?  We call them organ donors."  Point taken!  He and I will never leave this house sans helmets again.  My rule has always been NO helmet, NO wheels. The one good thing to come out of this experience is a reminder how important that rules is.

Blake will recover just fine.  I will call an orthopedic surgeon in the morning and schedule him for an appointment.  For now it is a sling, pain medication and rest.  I am very thankful that he is going to be A-Okay.

We snapped some photos for him to remember the occasion.  The firemen and the EMT's were wonderful, as were the nurses and doctors at the hospital.  I am very thankful for them, and the excellent care they provided to Blake.

Wear your helmets kids!  

Until next time...enjoy life, and be kind to one another.


Peace.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Love,





My 365 Blog.

Follow Me on...
Instagram
Flickr
Twitter
Facebook

0 comments:

Welcome to Mommy plus Five

I am a work from home mom of five amazing children, and five beautiful grandchildren. Enjoying my 50's and all that life has to offer.

Time to start a new 365.

Thank you for stopping by! :)


http://veronicagraphics.com

Networked Blogs

Visitors

Our Dogs

#1 dog site for dogs & bipeds!

Blog Archive

Visitors